Monday, July 9, 2007

Standards addressed in LEM 519

This course, Reference and Reference Services, has three standards:
1. Literature and resource materials available, including community resources.
2. Procedures for planning, conduction, and evaluating in-service programs to meet the needs of media staff and school faculty.
3. Procedures for designing, implementing, and evaluating instructional activities and integrating information skills into the curriculum.

Through this course, I have learned a great deal about reference services. I feel I've learned the most about the different types of reference services. Prior to this course, I did not understand the difference between the various types of resources. Now, I am familiar with all of the major reference services. In addition, I have a complete document (our mid-term) that gives me all the information easily accessible. I also have a working understand of Information Power and the Big6Skills. I feel like I could successfully conduct a reference interview, also. My learning of the various types of catalogs will be a vital component in my success as a LMS. One area that I found I was already competent was my knowledge of electronic resources. My content area, Business Education, precipitated this knowledge. I was fascinated by the various ways to integrate information literacy into the curriculum. This is an interest area of mine, so I was glad to get more information on this area. Familiarizing myself with ALEX is a necessity for success. This is an incredible resource. The best way to determine teachers' needs is to work hand-in-hand in a collaborative effort as they develop ways of teaching their curriculum. It may be necessary at times to conduct an in-service to assist teachers in the development of their curriculum and to let them know what services the LMC has to offer.

No comments: